Ready to get creative in the kitchen? Why not try making your own cannabutter with CBD flower? Cannabutter is cannabis-infused butter. It can be used for both medicinal and recreational purposes, making it a quite versatile edible.
Cannabutter is easily the most important part of many types of edible. From the potential healing benefits to its ease of use in other forms of CBD edibles, there are tons of ways to use and incorporate cannabutter into your everyday life. Learn how to make your own cannabutter with CBD flower so you can use it in cookies, cakes, brownies, muffins, sauces, and more!
What You’ll Need: Ingredients & Supplies
- 9-10 grams of CBD-rich cannabis. We recommend Orange Cookie (INDOOR) Hemp Flower (Trim) or Delta8 Infused Jet Fuel Hemp Flower (Trim).
- 2 sticks of regular, unsalted butter (about 8 ounces).
- 1 cup of water
- Parchment paper
- A grinder
- A saucepan
- A jar with a lid
Step 1: Decarboxylation
- Preheat the oven to 250°F
- Line an oven-safe cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Place small pieces of the CBD flower bud on the paper
- Check the buds every 10 minutes by removing the cookie sheet (wearing oven mitts) and lightly shaking them to make sure all surfaces get exposed.
- Bake the buds in the oven for 40-45 minutes until they turn from light green to medium brown.
Step 2: Grinding the CBD flower
The next step is to grind your decarbed herbs in your grinder. Do not grind it too finely; just one round through the grinder should be sufficient.
Step 3: Melting the butter & adding the cannabis
- Put 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan on top of the stove.
- Add 1 cup of water to the saucepan
- Simmer on low heat until the butter-water mixture begins to melt.
- Add the decarbed CBD flower to the melted butter in the saucepan.
Step 4: Simmer and stir
Continue to let the cannabutter mixture simmer on low heat (160°F-175°F for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally. Do not let the cannabutter come to a full boil.
Step 5: Straining the mixture and setting the butter
- Pour the semi-cooled cannabutter mixture over a jar lined with a cheesecloth to remove plant material. If you do not have a cheesecloth, you can also use a fine mesh screen.
- Put the jar in the refrigerator for about an hour to allow the cannabutter to set. If excess water forms on the bottom of the jar, drain the water and replace the jar in the refrigerator.
Step 6: Testing the potency of the cannabutter
After about 1 hour in the refrigerator, test the potency of your cannabutter by spreading ½ a teaspoon on a slice of bread or cracker. Wait about 1 hour after tasting for the effects to kick in to determine its potency. This will help you understand how much cannabutter you should use when making your own edibles.
*Keep in mind that you can always supplement edibles with regular butter; not all of the butter used in your recipes should be cannabutter.
Step 7: Storing the cannabutter
The final step is to wrap your cannabutter in parchment paper (or leave it in the jar) and store it in your refrigerator for 1-2 weeks!
*Cannabutter may also be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Always remember to enjoy your cannabutter and edibles responsibly. Also be sure to check out Black Tie CBD edibles like our gummies, syrups, and soft chews. For more information, questions, or comments, please feel free to contact us today!